Resistance Band Hanging
I mentioned this in response to another post earlier today and then realized that I’ve never seen a good post on adjustable resistance band or bungee cord hanging. So, here goes…
The idea here is to use resistance bands (for exercising) or bungee cords to create the resistance used in hanging instead of using actual weights. The idea seems pretty obvious, people have posted on it a few time before, and Monty sells calibrated bungee cords for the job. So, the general idea is not new, but I think that the way I do it might be (at least I’ve not found any posts on it).
What I do is use an exercise resistance band; one end is connected to a fixed object (e.g. heavy furniture, eyebolt in wall or ceiling, door, etc…) and the other end is connected to daisy chain. A daisy chain is a piece of webbing with loops every few inches used in rock climbing. A small carabiner then connects your hanger to one of the loops of the daisy chain. Here’s the beauty of the system: clipping into a loop closer to the resistance band increases the tension and clipping into a loop farther from the resistance band lowers the tension. The system I use 2’ of resistance band with a 2’ daisy chain connected to a fixed point a bit over 4’ away from my dick. I can adjust my tension from ~2.5 lbs to ~15 lbs in roughly 2.5 lb increments. See the attached picture.
Here are the advantages:
- I can adjust the weight far more quickly and easily than I can with actual weights
- I can hang more easily in unusual directions than I could using actual weights
- I can hang in places that I otherwise couldn’t (I now typically hang in bed while watching tv, my attachment points are my footboard, headboard, and an eyebolt in the ceiling)
- I don’t have to worry about dropping a weight on my foot or some other similar type of accident
- The gear needed is small, light and cheap
I hope this idea is useful to others.
Starting (May 2010): BPEL:6" EG: 4 7/8". Current (April 2011): BPEL: 6 3/4" EG: 5 1/4".
Short Term Goal: BPEL: 7" EG: 5.25" Long Term Goal: When my wife makes me stop or 8"x6" (whichever comes first)